[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
1 billion rising - Jesus Geeks

1 billion rising

Moderators: gwenhyver42, ~Ęlmįrą~, Dadinator, mojoboy31, Demonhunter, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eskarina
Regular user
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1 billion rising

Postby Eskarina » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/living/vd ... ?hpt=us_t5

Last Thursday women across the globe gathered in protest of violence against women. The movement revolved around song and dance and took it's name from the 1 out of 3 women who will be victims to physical and sexual violence. Most notably, women in the Middle East gathered on streets to protest their lack of rights.
So much universe, so little time...

gwenhyver42

Re: 1 billion rising

Postby gwenhyver42 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I love that they used dance as a form of protest –– peaceful, yet full of expression.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 pm

It's a good thought...but...and I hate being skeptical...will it change anything?

I just question the effectiveness of what happened. I guess it's good they did something, but we've all been aware that women endure horrible abuses around the globe for years and it hasn't changed anything.

It's not like I have a better idea though, so I'll hope that it at least inspired some good conversations.

Taliesin
Part Timer

Postby Taliesin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Reminds me of Seven Psychopaths and the part where the Tibetan priest is setting himself on fire in protest of the war.

one of the other priests looks at him and says "Brother! Don't do this. It won't change anything!"

He looks at the man and says "But it might." and lights himself on fire.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Alright, on that note, I redact my cynicism in favor of that beautiful thought cyber bro.

Taliesin
Part Timer

Postby Taliesin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:02 pm

yeah that part alone would have made the movie for me...

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Have I told you that I love your avatar?

I love your avatar.

Taliesin
Part Timer

Postby Taliesin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 pm

I thought yours was rather inspired, and I was like...if Eskarina is Janeway, who would I be? Then it clicked.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Return to “Current Events”