[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
John Green - Jesus Geeks

John Green

Discuss your favorite authors

Moderators: gwenhyver42, ~Ęlmįrą~, Dadinator, mojoboy31, Demonhunter, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eskarina
Regular user
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

John Green

Postby Eskarina » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

Author of Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns, and The Fault In Our Stars.

Any fans?
So much universe, so little time...

mojoboy31

Re: John Green

Postby mojoboy31 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:42 pm

I've never heard of him.
"I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you."
-Excerpt from Hebrews Chapter Thirteen~ The Bible

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:04 pm

You should read him. Amazing author.

Looking for Alaska is about a boy, Pudge, who decides to attend a boarding school in search of "the great perhaps". He finds it in a girl named Alaska.

The Fault in Our Stars is about kids diagnosed with cancer.

Haven't read Paper Towns but I will let you know.

If you like witty and intelligent teenagers, musing on the world and why it works the way it does, and plot based less around action and more around well developed characters, you will like these books.

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Looking for Alaska sounds hilarious.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:48 pm

There are some very, very funny parts.

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I'll have to put it in my "to-read" list.

Demonhunter

Postby Demonhunter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 pm

I had read a review where they said that the main character went to this school and started smoking drinking and generally getting into trouble.
not trying to be rude but I was just trying to find out if this is true.
Saving people, hunting things. The family business.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to answer this question in a good way, without giving to much of the plot away. Part of this will inevitably go in spoiler tags though. I hate to give people content warnings with no context, because sometimes this content is neccesary in books.

Ok, so Pudge goes to this boarding school and meets a group of friends but there's something looming on the horizon. We know this, because the books tells us how many days are left until something happens before each section. At the beginning we are one hundred and thirty six days before. At school, pudge is quickly absorbed into a group of high achieving, very intelligent kids. I want to stress that because while, yes, they do smoke and drink and pull pranks, they also are straight a kids. It's not like they are drop outs. The days left at the beginning of the sections heightens the awareness that something is about to happen; this can't last forever as it is. What we don't know is what will change, if it will be for better or worse, or how it will change the characters.

Finally...

In the end the book doesn't promote irresponsible behavior, it uses it to drive across a point and show characterization.

You might, in the end, find you disagree with Green's conclusions (you probably will. He's not a christian), but not reading a book because you might disagree with it is silly. You only fully understand your own point of view when you understand why people disagree with it.

Demonhunter

Postby Demonhunter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info. doesn't sound like my kind of book. but I have a lot of books I have to read so I am trying to limit what I am reading to stuff that really interests me and this just doesn't. thanks anyway.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Sounds reasonable. Glad I could help.

Demonhunter

Postby Demonhunter » Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 pm

I now know that I watch John green and his brother hank on youtube. DFTBA

Vanilla
Part Timer

Postby Vanilla » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:15 am

Demonhunter

Postby Demonhunter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 pm

I haven't kept up with the Green brothers in a long time but I did recently watch TFIOS, I really need to read the book. And Eskie, I did read Looking for Alaska and loved it dearly.

Eskarina
Regular user

Postby Eskarina » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm so glad!

Return to “Authors”