[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
In your opinion, what makes a good book? - Jesus Geeks

In your opinion, what makes a good book?

discuss your favorite books here

Moderators: gwenhyver42, ~Ęlmįrą~, Dadinator, mojoboy31, Demonhunter, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Narnian525
Regular user
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

In your opinion, what makes a good book?

Postby Narnian525 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:11 pm

In this topic, we'll discuss our views and thoughts on what makes a good book.

A good book, to me, has strong characters. A good author that pens characters that are relatable, yet fun. Characters that go through the same experiences that we go through. Also, a good book has a strong setting that's able to pull you into the world of the characters. Lastly, a good book doesn't just focus all on one thing. Variety is a must to keep me interested.

You?
Jesus Christ is awesome <3

Be yourself, don't let anybody tell you that you're not worth anything-Selena Gomez

Dadinator

Re: In your opinion, what makes a good book?

Postby Dadinator » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I have to get into the characters, If I don't like them the rest doesn't matter.

gwenhyver42

Postby gwenhyver42 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Plot has to be unpredictable, to some extent. I get bored with Hallmark movie type plots.
Characters cannot be boring. If they are underdeveloped and have no quirks, just appearances, then I get bored with them. And too many characters is terribly confusing.
Setting is secondary to all of this. If it's well written, I don't care if it's set in medieval wherever or some distant future on a spaceship in a distant galaxy.
Reading things in the second person aggravates me. Who is the author to tell me what I'm doing? ;P The rare exception to this is RPG games... but that's not books.

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:18 am

Hmmmm.... Like, Dadinator and Gwen said; it starts with the characters. The more well defined the characters are, the more the plot shapes around them, and the more the world is defined by them and their perspectives on it. Everything starts with characters. The greatest plot, and the greatest setting are worthless if the characters are wooden boards.

And like Gwen; too many characters is terribly confusing. I've started and not finished way too many books because I just didn't want to keep up with so many characters anymore.

@Gwen: I didn't know that you weren't a fan of second person.
"I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you."
-Excerpt from Hebrews Chapter Thirteen~ The Bible

gwenhyver42

Postby gwenhyver42 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:49 am

Narnian525
Regular user

Postby Narnian525 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:04 am

Gwen: I also don't like second person. It's weird to be reading what you're doing in a book.

Be yourself, don't let anybody tell you that you're not worth anything-Selena Gomez

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Narnian525
Regular user

Postby Narnian525 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:35 pm

gwenhyver42

Postby gwenhyver42 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm

hahaha... I dislike one of my characters in my own writing because she whines a lot.... Mojo knows who I'm talking about...

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 pm

gwenhyver42

Postby gwenhyver42 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:41 am

Ah....

mojoboy31

Postby mojoboy31 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 am

gwenhyver42

Postby gwenhyver42 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:13 am

Return to “Favorite books”